The reasons for seasons…

We’ve had several glorious warm and sunny spring days this week – so lucky for everyone enjoying an Easter break down here in Devon, or indeed for those of us fortunate enough to live here! I love springtime and the whole cycle of rebirth and renewal heralding the arrival of longer days and (hopefully) more sunshine – so uplifting!

Somehow, seasons used to be more clear-cut when I was a child. Summers were warmer, it always snowed at Christmas and I am sure all of that is probably poppy-cock – it’s just childhood memories that seem to change as you get older. But what really makes our seasons and the weather that they bring? I thought I’d investigate…

What causes the seasons?

The seasons are a result of the tilt of Earth’s axis in relation to the Sun as we orbit around it. This tilt (all 23.5º of it!) means that throughout our orbit around the sun (which is our calendar year) certain areas of the earth are tilted towards the Sun, while other areas are tilted away from it. This creates a difference in the amount of sunlight that reaches different parts of the Earth and that’s how we get the seasons.

When does spring officially start?

Well, that depends on whether you are referring to the astronomical or meteorological spring.

The date on our calendars that marks the start of spring refers to the astronomical season which is a result of the Earth’s axis and orbit around the sun. However, organisations like the Met Office use meteorological seasons based on the annual temperature cycle as well as coinciding with the calendar to determine a clear transition between the seasons.

Since the astronomical seasons vary in length, the start date of a new season can fall on different days each year. This makes it difficult to compare seasons between different years and resulted in the introduction of the meteorological calendar. This splits the calendar into four seasons of approximately the same length. The astronomical seasons run approximately three weeks later than those of the meteorological calendar. So now you know!

Which is your favourite season?

Do tell me your favourite. I think I could make a case for each season in turn and I am very grateful to live in a country where there are actual seasons rather than constant sunshine… would one of you remind me I said that in the depths of next winter please!

1. Pauline Credland says:

Hello Joanna,
    I have really enjoyed reading your last two Country Days Blog, and viewing the delightful photos attached!
    Like you, i find the Spring Season wonderful, as it brings such joy after the 'greyness' of the winter months.
    We certainly don't experience the seasonal weather as we did many, many years ago. All due to the 'Climate Change' i guess!
    So, i think my favourite season must be Springtime, closely followed by Autumn….. all the lovely bright cheery colours of the
    Spring blossom, and then the stunning Autumnal oranges, yellows, greens and browns, an artists palette!
    Thank you for sharing , and the lovely pics…. the little lamb is so cute!
    God bless you, and enjoy the weekend.

2. Grace Weir says:

Hi Joanna… its certainly been a lovely week this past week and the Spring sunshine is wonderful. and the signs of new life as the garden comes to life once again after the dark winter days. I love all the seasons really, and there is a wealth of colour in them all.. even the berries and evergreens in the winter have their own charm. The autumn reds and golds are also so beautiful.. in fact what a beautiful world we live in. Its a pity that we so often take it for granted. Thank-you for all your blogs. I too love the pictures on this one especially

3. Grace Weir says:

4. Heather says:

Hi Joanna
    I really enjoy reading your blogs they are so interesting and cover a host of subjects. Autumn is my favourite season followed closely by Spring. I too am fortunate to be living by the sea and cherish every moment, there is nothing better than walking on the beach during Sunrise or Sunset. Your photos are beautiful, must be a Welsh lamb because he's smelling daffodils 😀 lol thanks for sharing x

5. Sharon says:

For me it is Spring and Autumn. Spring because it's when everything starts to wake and summery colours start to appear. Autumn because of the gorgeous autumnal colouring and there is still some warmth.

What a lovely post Joanna. I really like to see the changing seasons, the new buds and births in Spring, the most spectacular colours in Autumn and a cold hard Winter, as for summer, well I don't care much for that, especially the hot days, I think I could quite happily hibernate in summer. I love Autumn the most, it seems the best time of year to see changes, every day there is some different and the weather is so fickle, you never know what to expect from one minute to the next. I love Winter too, especially cold snowy ones although we don't seem to get many of those in Suffolk. I love taking my dog for an early morning walk around our village and the surrounding countryside as it provides so many opportunities to see the how each season changes the beautiful earth.
    Creative Blessings, Tracy x