Vegetable spiralizer fun!

Continuing with my little series of kitchen gadgets – I thought I would show you my vegetable spiralizer.

I am quite new to this particular gadget, so I’m sure there’s an awful lot still to discover. However I am having fun with the bits I have played with so far, especially courgettes. My dear neighbour grows courgettes and I suspect is trying for the ‘who can produce more courgettes than all the neighbours combined’ prize again this year! It was so kind to be given so much produce and I want to be prepared this year as he gleefully shows me some amazingly strong looking little seedlings!

I am trying, as part of my healthy living/slimming campaign, to keep carbs under control and making courgette spaghetti or spirals certainly does that. The main key to it all I suggest is not overcooking the courgette. The instructions I read on a recipe suggested 30 seconds and it sounds ridiculous but if the spirals are put into already boiling water that is bubbling away – then yes 30 seconds can be enough – make it two minutes and they are soggy and ‘orrible!

There are many vegetable spiralizers on the market and I spotted this one in Good Food magazine so decided to give it a try. It’s a bit cumbersome but works pretty well. You ‘stick’ it to the worktop with its suction cup feet, choose which of three blades you want and then feed in the courgettes. It comes with pretty good instructions.

There are many different fruit and vegetables you can experiment with. I think on balance my favourites are butternut squash “noodles”. You can use fruit, like apples and firm pears, root veg such as carrot and potato (ordinary and sweet) and parsnips. Finally you could try veg such as squash, peppers and even cabbage.

There are some recipe books out there too – but I just lightly boil the veg and, in this case, added a savoury mince made with homemade stock, baked beans and lean mince. But any pasta type sauces work well whether tomato based or creamy. My next experiment I think might be apples and pears with some nice Greek yoghurt!

1. Eva R. says:

I bought a very similar one in January! I’m still playing with it as well but so far using courgette instead of pasta is working quite well. I don’t boil the courgette. I just put about a tablespoon of olive oil in a frying pan and I sauté it. It takes under five minutes to go tender. The best part is that you can taste it and decide how firm you want it.

2. Beverley says:

Thank you I enjoy all your articles you blog Joanna. I enjoyed reading this article I am still sat on the fence as to whether I would want to purchase a spiraliser I would need to know how to best get use out of a spiraliser to be able to utelise it frequently/daily. I do need to reduce my weight. I would love to hear how you progress and if you have any book recommendations. Enjoy your culinary creations!

Hi Beverley, I find it really interesting to read up on assorted web sites, starting by Googling ‘spiraliser’ – lots of super recipes and ideas out there! Smiles, Joanna

• Beverley says:

Thank you, I don’t know why I didn’t think of that. I enjoyed watching your C+C show today. I noticed you look really good and look like you have some lost weight. It is something I am finding a challenge at the moment. I am making homemade soups, cuttting down on potion size its a working progress. thank you, you are an inspiration.

Thank you Beverley, very kind. Yes, I am plugging away at my diet, slow and steady progress. The spiralizer is fun and makes healthy eating options more exciting. Keep at it, I’m sure you’ll succeed. Smiles, Joanna

3. Joy Roberts says:

Thanks for the article on spiralizers Joanna I have been toying with idea for a while now should I shouldn’t I. Thanks to your article and enthusiasm I have taken the plunge and bought an INspiralizer just had an email to say it will arrive today. Can’t wait. Being diabetic I have been told the diet can be helpful and hopefully I shall loose some weight. So thanks again we shall be experimenters together. I have bought two books on spiralizing by Ali Facucci and hopefully my daughter and I will be a lot healthier. The recipes sound very tasty.