Wildflower wonderland

After a pretty fraught day, it was lovely to go for an evening stroll yesterday and to feel the warmth of the sun, listen to the birds singing and enjoy the fabulous wildflowers.

I think we all know Devon is a beautiful county but, in the month of May, it really comes into its own. The hedgerows, banks and woodlands are full of wildflowers – bluebells, red campion, stitchwort, wild garlic… the list is endless.

My own garden is starting to look pretty good, but there is something so magical about the display nature can produce all on her own. Yes, I know you can see tropical blooms and exotic birds in other parts of the world but for me, there is nothing to beat the English countryside in May.

What’s your favourite wildflower?

1. Nannieannie says:

Looks lovely Joanna. Haven’t been to Devon for a long time. Used to have friends living at Newton Abbot.

I’ve lived here for many years now, but I never cease to appreciate how lovely it is, and how lucky I am. Smiles, Joanna.

2. syy says:

Joanna thanks for sharing. I had a great day. Took my best friend as part of her birthday present to Coton Manor in Northamptonshire (we live just over the border in Leicestershire). They have lovely bluebell woods but also the gardens are beautiful too, well worth a visit. We couldn’t have chosen a better day, with the sun shining down on us whilst we enjoyed one of their lunches. A memory you tuck away and bring out when you are having a bad day.

3. Cheryl Bingham says:

It is lovely isn’t it. I live in Normandy and the spring is beautiful here too. We start with the snowdrops and move on to primroses and cowslips. Then the wild daffodils. bluebells, wild orchids and Solomons Seal. There’s something so magical and hopeful about seeing all these flowers and the lovely fresh green as the trees come into leaf.

4. Jenney Robinson says:

Hi Joanna. Totally agree with you about the month of May. I live even further west than you in beautiful Cornwall about 30 miles from Lands End. The flowers here are much the same and seem to be very prolific this year. Loads of Bluebells in varying shades as well as Campion etc. Even the Lilac tree in my garden has more flower than ever before. Still love reading your blog as there is such a wide variety of topics. Keep well and enjoy every moment of each day. Love and blessings. Jenney x

Ah yes, Cornwall! Absolutely beautiful part of the world. Bluebells are spectacular this year, aren’t they? Glad to hear you enjoy the blog. Smiles, Joanna