Homemade bread

I have been making my own soup for years and we have long been thinking we might try making homemade bread to go with the soup – instant homemade lunches!

However this good idea was shelved along with so many others we have, as we got busier and busier. Then whilst at my sister’s house last week we got up one morning to the most amazing smell of bread .. I wondered if she had one of those part-baked loaves in the oven or some frozen croissants, but this really was a very strong scent… enough to raise Richard into an enthusiastic early breakfast!

Kate (my sister) assured us it was real home made bread, courtesy of her bread making machine and it was sitting waiting for us to road test the latest loaf. Cutting a long and delicious story short, it was wonderful and Richard especially, was madly keen as he loves bread and cheese or bread and soup even more than I do.

So courtesy of Amazon we pressed a button and this machine arrived a day or so later. Richard has now taken full control and it is obviously going to be a man thing, a bit like the BBQ. However you will hear no complaints from me – it’s lovely to share the cooking.

We have tried three different recipes this week: a French bread (delicious but a different shape to usual French bread obviously!), a standard white and a 50/50% wholemeal and white and I can honestly say that every crumb has been consumed and little Grace, our granddaughter, gave an enthusiastic thumbs up to the ‘Grandpa’ bread she ate for lunch today.

We chose the Panasonic SD-2511 as that’s what my sister had – seemed easier than choosing a different one and it not being as good. Then all you really need to keep in the cupboard is strong flour, water, salt, dried yeast and a touch of butter. There are plenty of other things you can add but the basics have worked well so far.

I have bought several books on machine bread making and I think we will be trying loaves with delicious little extras like olives or pecan nuts and maple syrup soon. But for now, I think it is unlikely we will bother to buy much regular bread from the supermarket as we just love having it all set on a timer and having that smell of baking bread first thing in the morning.

1. Cheryl Bingham says:

I always used a bread maker before moving to France and I much preferred the bread it made. I find bought English bread quite “soggy” now. Also you know what’s in it and these machines make bread making a breeze. Enjoy!

• Susan Holmes says:

I have been making homemade bread for about 15 years now using one of these machines. My husband point blank refused to let me buy one so I borrowed my Mother’s machine for a week or so. Each night he came home from a hard day at work to the smell of fresh bread with his evening meal. After a few days he gave in and agreed that I could buy one – providing it was a large capacity machine! To this day I make my own bread and teacakes, even pizza bases using the machine to prepare the dough. It turned Mr Grumpy into Mr Greedy. When my gluten intolerant daughter in law is due, I can make special bread for her at short notice which is infinitely more palatable than shop bought varieties. It’s a no-brainer. Every household eats bread.

2. Dawn Holben says:

I just love home made bread, I developed an intollerance
    to all the preservatives in shop bread and also found it too
    doughy.
    So home made is a definate must have and like richard my husband
    is cheif breadmaker lol

3. Irene Sell says:

How lovely Joanna, enjoy. I have had a bread machine for a few years now but never used it ‘overnight’ always worrying that ‘things might go wrong’ . My daughter loves it when she has home made bread and homemade soup for supper or lunch and my grandsons love all flavours any time…. Boy thing I think .x

I think modern bread machines are very reliable, I just love waking up to the smell of fresh bread – so very homely! Joanna

4. arneil o'loughlin says:

I have the same Breadmaker too and it is on every second day , it is too nice though , as my waist line shows !

You’ve hit the nail on the head there!! Takes a lot of willpower not to eat the whole loaf! Smiles, Joanna

5. kanda says:

My Hubby has been bread making (with a bread machine) for about 20 years now….. so definitely a ‘man’ thing. No complaints from me as the bread, cobs, teacakes, pizza bases and all the other wonderful things he makes are so delicious. We could never go back to shop bought now.

Sounds wonderful! I am secretly hoping Richard will want to make different things too, lucky you! Smiles, Joanna

6. Jacqui says:

You don’t have to use butter. I always use olive oil instead. I also tend to leave out the salt, or use lo salt.

7. Sanieb says:

Having worn out two Panasonic bread machines am now on the third
    Instead of using butter try a good dollop of olive oil and reduce the water by 5 to 10ml I find the bread stays fresher longer if you can keep the family away from it.

8. Marlene Whitehead says:

Love to make bread the Wrights bread mixes are nice for a change and it says you can make in a bread maker worth looking at x

• Janet Allott says:

They work fine in bread makers Marlene…. I use them for a change too. I was also told that lo salt foes not work as well with the yeast as “full” salt. Some sort of chemical reaction involved. I use a light veggie oil and I find this makes a lighter loaf.
      Best wishes to all you bread machiners!

9. Christine MacDonald says:

When my girls were young I used to do a lot of baking, and breadmaking, but when I started working again I just didn’t have the time and it turned into an occasional treat. Then breadmakers became all the rage and we invested in one, only thing is as it was one of the first type it makes an upright square loaf but the paddle tend to leave a big whole in the bottom. I only use it nowadays to prepare the dough and I cook it in the oven. A firm favourite is onion bread – I add some of the ready fried onion which I buy of the shelf in the supermarket. At the moment I’m “into” sourdough and have a culture constantly on the go.

Yes, I think breadmakers have improved over the years. Sourdough sounds very impressive! Smiles, Joanna

• Dot McEvoy says:

I set a timer for an hour when I start the bread off, when it goes off I grease my hands with oil and then remove the paddles. When the bread is done you only have two small holes and it’s easy to shake out

10. Karen Gray says:

Wouldn’t be without my bread maker, can’t beat it. I do admit to having a couple of ready mixes in the cupboard for when my granddaughter stays and wants to make her own bread…less messy for little hands 😊 x

11. Susan Mary Hanson says:

Hi Joanna,. I too have a bread maker and as I live in Spain, the bread here is so different,nice, but different. So with mine I make all the usual plus my husband’s favourite malt loaf.! Delish!!! Unfortunateley, i cant buy malt extract over here so have to rely on friends and relatives to bring it when they visit!!! Keep on baking!! X x x

12. Rosemarie says:

Sounds wonderful Joanna. I have one of the very early machines that didn’t have a timer, so couldn’t wake up to the lovely smell you describe. I have to admit it went into the cupboard after a while because it was rather limited it what it could do. Your article has made me think perhaps I should take a look at the new versions X X

13. Susan says:

Like Christine, I use my machine to mix, knead and do the first proving, then I shape it (often into rolls) and leave to prove again before baking. It actually takes less time than leaving the bread to bake in the machine and I don’t think you can beat the proper crust you get from an oven baking – plus there is the bonus of no hole! Love the sound of the onion addition. X

14. Mrs Doreen Bunyan says:

hello Joanna,
    I was very interested with your Breadmaker. I have had one for years (not this make) but have virtually given up using it as the bread sticks like glue to the paddle making it very difficult to get the loaf out of the pan. Can you tell me please if there is the same problem with this machine? I watched the video about it on the Pansonic web site and the loaf just fell out of the pan, but did not see what happened to the paddle.
    Doreen.

• Andrew Bennett says:

Hi Doreen I have a Panasonic for years and never had a problem with it and the loaf, with a little coaxing will fall out.

Doreen, we have had no problems at all with anything sticking, or the paddle getting stuck, it really just slips out of the pan. Highly recommended! Smiles, joanna

• Doreen Statham says:

This happened to my old breadmaker too. What I did was buy a new paddle from the spares dept online. The “non stick” has probably worn away on yours as on mine. new paddle = no big holes!
      Doreen too

15. Tammy says:

The machines are fantastic! I got one 15 years ago and wore it out! 😂
    We are currently on a low carb diet which is working well, but means no bread. I’m salivating as I read your story – once the goal weights are achieved and we can eat bread again, I’ll have to get another one! I’ll blame it on you 😂😂😂.

16. Lynn says:

We live in France as well and a few years ago when I was going back to the UK to visit my family, I suggested to my husband that if we got a bread machine he could make his own while I was away! So, he makes some in the machine and I make mine by hand! It only takes about five minutes to drive down to the mill for fresh flour!
    Keep up the good work and the book writing!

17. Andrew Bennett says:

welcome to the wonderful world of bread making. I’ve had mine Panasonic for several years now and love it. Every January/ February when the Saville oranges are in season I make my own marmalade. usually about 18 jars (I use the Delia Smith recipe and never fails). So homemade bread with homemade marmalade and being a Cornish lad clotted cream on top for good measure lol

18. Elizabeth says:

I miss UK bread it toasts so lovely, but here in Spain it like those dreadful diet rolls that just crumble to nothing, reading about Joanna’s bread machine has reminded me mine has been in the shed for the last ten years, time to get rid and invest in a new one and start making my own. Thank you all of you, Joanna and her sister Kate
    for waking me up, all sounds so yummy.

19. Deborah says:

Hi Joanna.
    I also have a bread maker, for many years now. I use rapeseed oil, olive oil and one of my recipes uses skimmed milk powder, which gives a nice texture and lasts longer. You can also buy a Bread Enhancer Powder at Lakeland, which makes the bread even better! Lastly, my manual has a recipe for Chocolate Bread! It is yummy!🌞🍞

20. Dianne says:

I have the earlier model of yours, you will love it. I also use Wright’s bread mixes, widely available from most supermarkets, I just add water and olive oil and hey presto! But oh, I dare you not to munch the new crust with lashings of butter and cheese! Scrummy.