This is a lovely cake – as taste tested by everyone here at work! As there’s white chocolate in it, it really doesn’t rise as much as some recipes and you have to keep an eye on it and keep your timings perfect, as it can overbrown if you lose track of the time. The magical combination of chocolate and raspberry always wins the day and this is just so delicious.
White chocolate cake
- 310g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- ½ teaspoon of baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 175g white chocolate, chopped
- 125ml hot water
- 225g butter, softened
- 300g caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 250ml buttermilk
- 1½ teaspoons of vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas mark 4. Sift together the flour, bicarbonate, baking powder and salt.
- Melt the chocolate and hot water over a low heat, stir till smooth and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time. Beating well each time. Stir in the flour mix alternately with some buttermilk. Mix in the melted chocolate.
- Pour the batter into two 23cm round cake tins and bake for 30-35 minutes until a skewer in the centre of the cake comes out clean.
White chocolate Philadelphia frosting
- 200g pack Philadelphia cream cheese at room temperature
- 60g butter, softened
- 175g white chocolate
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 275g Icing sugar
- Beat the cream cheese and butter with an electric mixer. Add the melted chocolate and vanilla and mix well again.
- Gradually add the sugar until light and fluffy.
- To finish the cake, add some raspberry jam between the layers and then cover with the icing, decorating with fresh raspberries.