Choosing your favourite films is a thankless task! No sooner have you picked 10 than another 10 pop into your mind. What makes a good film for me is usually romance (see my comments re Pierce Brosnan!) but equally it could be Colin Firth or Hugh Grant – but I like to be pulled into the story – no unnecessary torturing, violence or really excessive swearing. I suspect if I had to, I could limit myself to all PG films, not that I don’t enjoy fast paced action movies occasionally but a gentle tale is so much more relaxing in my view!
1. Mama Mia – and Richard really isn’t keen, but he stuck with me through three visits to the cinema… but refused to take me to the singalong version!
2. Madagascar 2 – very picky here 1 and 3 are nothing like as good – my favourite character is Will-i-am as the hippo.
3. Out of Africa – my brother was in a crowd scene in this one which made me go and see it at the cinema – wonderful photography and Meryl Streep was great.
4. Little Women– the 1933 version with Katherine Hepburn – OK, getting a bit vintage here, but…
5. Lord of the Rings (all of it) – but so much better seen on the big screen than on TV!
6. Harry Potter – and again yes all of them! If I absolutely had to single one out – then definitely the first one.
7. The Thomas Crown Affair – 1968 version – love that chess match with Steve McQueen.
8. James Bond – the four films that featured Pierce Brosnan – see choice number one – maybe there’s a pattern here!
9. Shrek 1 – just the first one they went downhill after that I feel…
10. Mrs Miniver – 1942 with Greer Garson – Another vintage choice, so romantic
So, come on what would be your choices?