Although Grace was technically one last Wednesday we decided to have her celebrations at the weekend as it’s quite hard to celebrate and work at the same time!
We gathered at my daughter’s house and Grace’s cake was (as it’s her favourite) a carrot cake with some reserve cupcakes for those that would rather have chocolate! The recipe was tweaked to have the nuts and sultanas removed to make it more baby friendly but was a huge success and Grace quickly devoured her mini portion and we felt quite mean saying no to any more!
I bought Grace a little teddy bear fancy dress outfit some time ago and now seemed as good a time as any to wear it! She does make me smile, she is so sweet – but then I am also amazingly biased!
- 650g grated carrots
- 220g dark brown soft sugar
- 4 eggs
- 300g caster sugar
- 250ml vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 250g crushed pineapple, drained
- 375g plain flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- In a medium bowl, combine grated carrots and dark brown soft sugar. Set aside for 60 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 180 C / Gas 4. Grease and flour three 9” tins
- In a large bowl, beat eggs until light. Gradually beat in the caster sugar, oil and vanilla. Stir in the pineapple. Combine the flour, bicarb, salt and cinnamon, then stir into the wet mixture until absorbed. Finally stir in the carrot mixture. Pour evenly into the prepared tins.
- Bake for about 45 minutes in the preheated oven, until you are happy that cake tests done with a skewer. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from tins. When completely cooled, ice with your favourite cream cheese icing recipe.